One of the most recommended software, GarageBand is a virtual music studio that is used for creating music. GarageBand, a pre-installed app in all the iOS and macOS devices, is acknowledged as the best tool offered by Apple to date. From beginners to professionals, this digital studio is used by all sorts of musicians to record demos, podcasts, and more.
Due to its multi-functionality, GarageBand is regarded as an extraordinary digital audio workstation (DAW) that offers you an enormous sound library. And that’s not it! This software is a fabulous combination of guitar presets, virtual instruments, and an amazing collection of percussionists and session drummers.
GarageBand for PC
Even though GarageBand is one of the best DAWs, its inaccessibility to Windows users has been a significant hindrance for music enthusiasts. However, we have found the perfect solution to this musical problem. Through this article, we will be helping you download GarageBand, and use this remarkable virtual studio on your PC.
Methods to download GarageBand for PC
To download GarageBand on a PC, it is mandatory to create a virtual macOS machine or have a software that can imitate the part for you. Here, we will be using two different methods to download GarageBand on your PC. This way, you get to choose from two options, as per your preference.
The two methods to install GarageBand on a Windows-based PC are: 1) using VMware, a software that virtualizes a macOS-based system on a Windows PC, and 2) using BlueStacks, an emulator specifically designed to imitate the macOS onto your Windows PC.
Method 1: How to download- VMware
More about VMWare
VMware Workstation Player works as an alternative to emulators and helps in the virtualization of macOS Sierra on your PC. It has certain requirements to ensure compatibility with the Windows version. These include an Intel-based processor plus an AMD-V supporting software.
Step 1- Go to the BIOS setup on the initial screen. Under the Advanced BIOS Features, look for the Virtualisation option.
Step 2- Enable the Virtualization mode.
Step 3- Download macOS Sierra software for your PC.
Step 4- Next, download VMware Workstation Player for your system, and install it by clicking on the setup file. (Do not run it yet.)
Step 5- Now, using WinRar software, extract macOS Sierra.
Step 6- After extracting, navigate on to this path: macOS Sierra> macOS Sierra 10.12 tools> Final Youtube Folder> unlocker208
Step 7- Look for win-install software and run it as an administrator.
Step 8- When a command prompt window pops up, give the required permissions.
Step 9- With the desktop shortcut, run VMWare Workstation Player. On the dialog box, select the Open virtual machine option.
Step 10- Now, on the pop-up window, go to the path: Sierra > macOS Sierra 10.12 tools > Final Youtube Folder > macOS Sierra.
Step 11-Double-click on the OS file, macOS 10.12.
Step 12-On the dialog box, select Edit virtual machine option.
Step 13- On the next screen, choose a number against the Processor Cores option, depending on the system’s processor (ex. Select 4, if your PC has a quad-core processor)
Step 14- Select the portion RAM you want to utilize for the VMWare, and click on OK to complete the procedure. (ex. For an 8 GB RAM, assign 4 GB to this machine)
Step 15- Now, again, start VMWare Workstation Player, and click on Play Virtual Machine. (The OS screen will take 5-10 minutes to load) Follow the below steps to complete the setup.
- Next, select your country from the given dropdown list and click on Continue.
- Choose your preferred language and click on Continue. Now, opt for Don’t transfer any information now and move further.
- Enable location, or not. (Not a mandatory category)
- Next, go to Create a new Apple ID, or Sign In using an existing one.
- Click on Agree to accept the Terms & Conditions. (You can also read the T&Cs by clicking on More)
- Click on Set up later, and continue.
- Choose the timezone for your location. (Ensure you select the exact option)
The process will take 10 minutes (approx.) to complete the setup.
Step 16- Now, go to the App Store and look up GarageBand.
Step 17- Download the app, and install it.
Once installed, Apple’s GarageBand is ready for use, right on your Windows PC. The indirect download method does not affect the performance of this DAW, and you will be able to use all of its features.
Method 2: How to Download Garageband for Windows
More about BlueStacks
BlueStacks is one of the most efficient emulators for Windows-based PC. It does not have any compatibility requirements which makes it super easy to use. All you need to do is to download the emulator and get to installing GarageBand directly.
Step 1- Download the BlueStacks emulator from its official website for your PC.
Step 2- Once done, go to the setup file and install the emulator.
Step 3- Now, launch the BlueStacks emulator icon.
Step 4- For first-time users, enter your Google ID and password to access the tool. For existing users, you will be able to login using the registered ID. (Existing users can choose to log out/log in using another ID)
Step 5- In the BlueStacks app, go to the search bar and type GarageBand.
Step 6- From the results, click on the option with the same name.
Step 7- Click on Install and wait for the app to be downloaded and installed on your PC.
And just like that, you have successfully installed GarageBand on your Windows PC. Go and make some music now!!
Features of GarageBand
Here is a compilation of features of GarageBand to help you learn how this software works:
- Create, edit, mix: GarageBand is not just a recording platform for musicians, but also a great tool to edit and mix the tunes, to give proper finishing to the end track. A variety of tools such as distortion, echo, etc., help you enhance the quality of the track. There is also an option to make the recordings in various audio resolutions (16-bit and 24-bit).
- Virtual instruments: This digital studio does not only permits you to create music but also spice it up with virtual instruments, just a click away. From synthesizers to a variety of guitars, it has all the devices. Moreover, the Smart drum option lets you customize your drum kit, as per your preferences. It is a great way to create some loud beats!
- Tutorials: GarageBand is also great software to learn how to use different virtual instruments. With numerous pre-recorded tutorials (known as The Music lessons), you can quickly learn the basics of most of the instrument, and that too for free. There are also paid tutorials, the Artist lessons, recorded by professional musicians.
- Import & Export: A very distinctive feature of GarageBand is that it lets you import and export MIDI files. You can easily exchange tunes with other digital audio platforms or any other program, without converting the files to MP3.
- Variety of Plugins: There is a huge selection of third-party plugins that can be installed and used with GarageBand for a better experience. The best part- most of these come with no price tags! Voxengo Old Skool Verb, Crystal Synth, SoundMagic Spectral, Audio Damage Rough Rider, etc. are some of the most popular plugin choices on the internet.
Alternatives for GarageBand
Now, since compatibility and installation of GarageBand in Windows PC is questioned in a lot of cases, people end up wanting it more. Hence, we have compiled a list of GarageBand alternatives specifically designed for Windows users:
The first one up is considered as the closest alternatives for GarageBand.
- Audiotool is a very powerful digital studio that lets you store all your demos, and tracks in the cloud memory.
- This is a great feature since it allows you to access the files from any browser, later on.
- You can also share the recordings on various platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, or even SoundCloud.
- With the collaboration feature, Audiotool lets you use external hardware as well as software. Moreover, using this, you can merge, split, or route different synthesizer outputs, as you may like.
- Audiotool offers in-built instruments like Heisenberg, Pulverisateur, machinist, beatbox 8, etc.
2. Soundation Studio
This one is a free-of-cost app that allows you to create music online.
- Soundation Studio has tools that enable recording, editing, loop library, and then save, download, or upload those recordings online.
- This DAW has almost 700 free sounds, recording effects, loops, and more.
- Effects such as SPC drum machine, midi packs, top-notch loops, drum kits, etc., help you create music.
3. Mixcraft 8 Home
Mixcraft 8 Home is a software that works on loops, and is best for amateur artists.
- It has a diverse loop library, similar to GarageBand.
- The loop library feature helps in speeding up the recording process.
- The live recording feature in this DAW is as good as that of GarageBand.
4. Music Maker Jam
Next one up is Music Maker Jam, a virtual recording studio that works as an entertainment ensemble. This DAW is more of fun software, used by those who like to experiment with music. This software is easily available on Windows App Store and is known for its popularity among Android users.
Last on our list is Stagelight. This is an Android app used for music creation, however, it can be used in Windows as well as macOS devices. Stagelight is an unusual DAW that focuses on the live recording. It makes working on various loops and audio files easier. Even though the free version of this app has unlimited tracks, the instruments are only available on the paid version. With a few drawbacks, Stagelight offers a fresh viewpoint to the music world and is known to be good enough with the free version itself.
Why is BlueStacks the best choice for your PC?
Other than the fact that BlueStacks is the obvious choice for easy installation of GarageBand on your Windows PC, this android emulator has a lot more to it. It is one of the most easily configurable app players that can be used to install Android-based apps on a Windows, and macOS, PC. Also, it is considered as the topmost choice for Android games that utilize a keyboard or joystick.
On a broader aspect, BlueStacks has some benefits we just cannot overlook:
- You get to access and play the games on your PC, directly. No mediator is required.
- It allows you to play games with an uncomplicated key-mapping tool.
- The software also enables you to map actions such as swiping, tilting, etc. and a lot of simple mobile actions right on your mouse and keyboard.
- BlueStacks lets you access several apps at one time.
- Functions such as volume adjustment, shaking the screen, and others, are available on this software.
- This android emulator allows you to share your live feed on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- It also helps you keep a check on the number of viewers on your live feed and interact with them using the Twitch chat option.
GarageBand is an amazing piece of software and it is used by some of the most famous musicians. For anyone who is looking for ways to make music at home, this DAW is the right choice. Even if you are a Windows user, you know you can access this digital workstation using the VMWare or BlueStacks method. I hope this article was helpful and you were able to understand the steps and other information about digital audio workstations available today.